Thursday, July 29, 2010
Vedadhyayana involves first of all learning the texts by heart (kanthastheekaranam).
1. Aksharabhyasa - learning of the grantha script.
2. In the first stage, the sub texts are learned by heart. The are -
Taittiriya brahmanam - elaborating the procedure of yajnas etc.
Aranyakam, Kathakam and Upanishad - the spiritual texts mostly dealing in
This stage takes about two and a half years.
3. In the next stage which make take about two years, the brahmachari learns by heart the taittiriya samhita comprising of 2198 panchasatis ( blocks of 50 words each). They are the mantras in prose form.
4. In the next stage called pada patha the entire samhita is split word by word and learned.
5. In the next stage called krama patha, the brahmachari learns to combine the words and how svara and pada sandhis are formed. The first word of the mantra is joined to the second, second to the third etc.
1+2, 2+3, 3+4, 4+5.
6. The next stage is called jata patha the sequence is
7.The final stage is ghana patha in which the sequence is
On completion of this stage the student receives the title called ghanapati which is highly respected.
Then the student moves onto learn the nuances of pronunciation and svaras through lakshnas and becomes a salakshana ghanapati. It can take upto ten years to reach this stage.
8. Further to this one can move onto specialise in
Shadangas - the six organs of the vedas
Bhashyam - meaning and commentary
Pryogas - srautha and gruhya prayogas.
To become a karmakandi purohit who does the regular household paurohitya all the above are not required. Proficiency in a few mantras ( may be about 1% of the whole)and a few months of training under an able acharya are sufficient.
Contains mainly mantras in praise of various vedic deities and prayers to them.
It is divided in two ways.
8 ashtakas comprising of 64 adhyayas
10 mandalas comprising of 85 anuvakas
In total there are 1028 suktams made up of 10552 mantras. A suktam is a collection of mantras on a particular subject.
Originally there were 21 branches of this veda, but now only to ie:- Bhashkala and Sakala are existing.
The sub texts of this veda are
Brahmanas ( procedural instructions) - Kaushitaki, Sangrayana and Aithareya
Aranyakas - Kaushitaki and Aithareya
Upanishads - Kaushitaki and Aithareya
Gruhya sutra - Asvalayana
There are two schools of yajurveda. The shukla yajurveda and the krishna yajurveda. The main difference is that in shukla yajurveda we find mantras alone whereas krishna yajurveda is a mix of mantras and the relevant brahmana bhaga also.
Yajurveda consists mainly of procedural mantras used in yajnas and it is in prose.
The shukla yajurveda has got two main branches as of today.
1. Vajasaneyi madhyandiniya mainly found in north india 2. Kanva mostly found in Tamil Nadu.
Vajasaneyi samhita consists of 303 anuvakas made up of 1975 kandikas classifiec into 40 chapters. Kanva samhita againa has got 40 chapters divided into 328 anuvakas comprising of 2086 kandikas.
The krishna yajurveda is made up of 7 kandas divided into 44 prasnas. There are 651 anuvakas made up of 2198 panchashatis (group of fifty words).
Sub texts of shukla yajurveda
Brahmanam - Shatapatha brahmanam
Upanishad - Isha and Brihadaranyaka
Sub texts of krishna yajurveda
Brahmanam - Taittiriya brahmanam
Aranyaka - Taittiriya aranyaka
Upanishad - Taittiriya, Katha and Maitrayani
Gruhya sutra - Apastamba, Bodhayana
Samaveda consists of songs. Of the 1875 verses of samaveda, 1800 are from rigveda.
It consists of two parts
Purvarchika consisting of 6 chapters with 650 mantras and
Uttararchika consisting of 21 chapters with 1225 mantras.
The main branches are kauthuma and ranayaniya.
Atharva veda comprises of mantras used for all worldly purposes such as healing, penances, fulfillment of wishes etc and also adhyatma.
The main branches are Saunaka and Paippalada.
Saunaka samhita consists of 5977 mantras arranged into 730 suktams in 20 chapters.
Sub texts of atharva veda
Brahmanam - Gopatha
Upanishad - Mundaka, Mandukaya.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
There are millions of micro organisms existing in our body each with life of its own. Some helpful, some harmful. Does the "self" include all of them or is minus all of them? A bacterium in the human stomach - does it identify itself as an individual prana or part of the whole called the human?
Friday, July 16, 2010
All devatas reside within the brahmin who knows the veda. So, by prostrating before the brahmin the devatas become happy.
The devatas exist in the form of mantras. By chanting the mantra their presence is sought. Mantras are stored in the veda vit brahmin. Therefore the devatas also reside within him.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Kari Naal is generally considered to be inauspicious in Tamil Nadu. Tamil panchangams mark kari naal. If the panchangam shows it as a kari naal auspicious functions are avoided on that day.
Certain days of the solar month are considered as kari naal. It is as follows.
Mesha - 6th and 15th
Rishabha - 7th ,16th and 17th
Mithuna - 1st and 6th
Karkataka - 2nd ,10th and 20th
Simha - 2nd ,9th and 28th
Kanya -16th and 29th
Tula - 6th and 20th
Vrischika - 1st ,10th and 17th
Dhanu -6th ,9th and 11th
Makara -1st, 2nd, 3rd, 11th, and 17th
Kumbha-15th ,16th and 17th
Meena -6th, 15th and 19th
Kari naal is only a deshachara (local practice). There is no reference in any of the classical texts.
Death on a kari naal is considered to be inauspicious and special remedies are performed in such cases. It must have started like this and later on must have got modified to the present state by indiscriminate observation.
Similar is the case with agninakshatra. When surya traverses krittika nakshatra (agni nakshatra) some people consider it to be inauspicious. Sastra says " Mrit Daru Shila karmani varjayet" meaning avoid activities related to soil/mud, timber and stone. Only construction related activities need to be avoided ( may be due to the extreme heat ).
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Monday, July 12, 2010
You don't have to believe anything.
Just understand your mind; how it works,how attachment and desire arise, how ignorance arises, and where emotions come from.
It is sufficient to know the nature of all that; that alone can bring you happiness and peace.
Thus, your life can change completely; everything turns upside down.
What you once interpreted as horrible can become beautiful.
Your Mind is Your Religion ( Budha)
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Uparaga (eclipse) santhi
This is the remedy to be performed if a solar or lunar eclipse falls on one’s janmarasi to ward off the evils of serious illnesses and untimely death.
1. Anujna form brahmins
2. Ganesha pooja
3. Appointment of acharya and ritviks
4. A pratima of sarpa made of gold weighing one or half nishka ( 1 nishka = 4 g) should be placed on top of a heap of gingelly seeds in case of solar eclipse and a heap of rice in case of a lunar eclipse after purifying with panchagavya.
5. Pranapratishta should be performed on the pratima and woshipped with shodashopachara.
6. A kalasha made of brass should be placed on top paddy weighing five dronas ( 1 drona = 16 kg). Four more kalashas should be placed in the four directions.
7. The five types of soil called panchamrith ( 1. from the path of elephant 2. from the path of horse. 3. from the battleground 4. from the place where cattle is reared 5. from the gate of the king’s palace.) should be deposited in the kalashas. The skin from the bark and the tender leaves of the five trees oudumbara, vata, ashvatha, plaksha and amra called panchatvak and panchapallava respectively should be deposited in the kalashas. The nine gemstones should be deposited. Then kalashas should also be deposited with gorochan, sankha, padma, sphatika, chandana, ivory, flowers, usheera and guggulu.
8. Varuna should first be invoked onto the kalashas and worshipped with shodashopachara.
9. The other deities should be invoked using the following mantras.
rÉÉåxÉÉæ uÉeÉëkÉUÉå SåuÉ AÉÌSirÉÉlÉÉÇ mÉëpÉÑqÉïiÉÈ | xÉWûxÉëlÉrÉlÉxxÉÔrÉïaÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
qÉÑZÉÇ rÉxxÉuÉïSåuÉÉlÉÉÇ xÉmiÉÉÍcÉïUÍqÉiÉ±ÑìÌiÉÈ | xÉÔrÉÉåïmÉUÉaÉxÉÇpÉÔiÉÉqÉÎalÉÈ mÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
rÉÈ MüqÉïxÉÉ¤ÉÏ sÉÉåMüÉlÉÉÇ rÉqÉÉå qÉÌWûwÉuÉÉWûlÉÈ | cÉlSìxÉÔrÉÉåïmÉUÉaÉÉåijÉÉÇ aÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
U¤ÉÉåaÉhÉÉÍkÉmÉxxÉÉ¤ÉéiÉç mÉëVûrÉÉÌlÉsÉxÉÍ³ÉpÉÈ | MüUÉVûÉå ÌlÉU×ÌiÉxxÉÔrÉïaÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
lÉÉaÉmÉÉzÉkÉUÉå SåuÉÉå ÌlÉirÉÇ qÉMüUuÉÉWûlÉÈ | xÉÍsÉsÉÉÍkÉmÉÌiÉxxÉÔrÉïaÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
mÉëÉhÉÃmÉÉÌWûsÉÉåMüÉlÉÉÇ uÉÉrÉÑÈ M×üwhÉqÉ×aÉÌmÉërÉÈ | xÉÔrÉÉåïmÉUÉaÉxÉÇpÉÔiÉÉÇ aÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
rÉÉåÅxÉÉæ ÌlÉÍkÉmÉÌiÉSåïuÉÈ ZÉ…ûzÉÔsÉkÉUÉå ZÉUÈ | xÉÔrÉÉåïmÉUÉaÉxÉÇpÉÔiÉÇ MüsÉÑwÉÇ qÉå urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
rÉÉåÅxÉÉæ zÉÔsÉkÉUÉå ÂSìzzÉÇMüUÉå uÉ×wÉuÉÉWûlÉÈ | xÉÔrÉÉåïmÉUÉaÉeÉÇ SÉåwÉÇ ÌuÉlÉÉzÉrÉiÉÑ xÉuÉïSÉ ||
In case of lunar eclipse use the following mantras
rÉÉåÅxÉÉæ uÉeÉëkÉUÉå SåuÉ AÉÌSirÉÉlÉÉÇ mÉëpÉÑqÉïiÉÈ | xÉWûxÉëlÉrÉlÉ¶ÉlSìaÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
qÉÑZÉÇ rÉxxÉuÉïSåuÉÉlÉÉÇ xÉmiÉÉÍcÉïUÍqÉiÉ±ÑìÌiÉÈ | cÉlSìÉåmÉUÉaÉxÉÇpÉÔiÉÉqÉÎalÉÈ mÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
rÉÈ MüqÉïxÉÉ¤ÉÏ sÉÉåMüÉlÉÉÇ rÉqÉÉå qÉÌWûwÉuÉÉWûlÉÈ | cÉlSìxÉÔrÉÉåïmÉUÉaÉÉåijÉÉÇ aÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
lÉÉaÉmÉÉzÉkÉUÉå SåuÉÉå ÌlÉirÉÇ qÉMüUuÉÉWûlÉÈ | xÉÍsÉsÉÉÍkÉmÉÌiÉ¶ÉlSìaÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
mÉëÉhÉÃmÉÉÌWûsÉÉåMüÉlÉÉÇ uÉÉrÉÑÈ M×üwhÉqÉ×aÉÌmÉërÉÈ | cÉlSìÉåmÉUaÉxÉÇpÉÔiÉÉÇ aÉëWûmÉÏQûÉÇ urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
rÉÉåÅxÉÉæ ÌlÉÍkÉmÉÌiÉSåïuÉÈ ZÉ…ûzÉÔsÉkÉUÉå ZÉUÈ | cÉlSìÉåmÉUÉaÉxÉÇpÉÔiÉÇ MüsÉÑwÉÇ qÉå urÉmÉÉåWûiÉÑ ||
rÉÉåÅxÉÉæ zÉÔsÉkÉUÉå ÂSìzzÉÇMüUÉå uÉ×wÉuÉÉWûlÉÈ | cÉlSìÉåmÉUÉaÉeÉÇ SÉåwÉÇ ÌuÉlÉÉzÉrÉiÉÑ xÉuÉïSÉ ||
10. The above mantras should be written on a metal strip made of gold, silver or copper and tied around the head of the yajamana.
11. The yajamana with anjalimudra should pray to the dikpalas as follows taking flowers and akshata in hand
§ÉæsÉÉåYrÉå rÉÉÌlÉ pÉÔiÉÉÌlÉ cÉUÉÍhÉ xjÉÉuÉUÉÍhÉ cÉ | oÉë¼åzÉÌuÉwhÉÑrÉÑ£üÉÌlÉ iÉÉlrÉÉrÉÉliÉÑ WûUiuÉbÉqÉç ||
12. This should be followed by shodashopachara pooja of the invoked dikpalas.
13. The brahmanas should chant the following mantras.
Rudram, Chamakam, Purushasuktam, Shreesuktam, Bhusuktam, Varunasuktam, Ghritasuktam, Aghamarshanasuktam, Namobrahmane and Pranava.
14. In case of Solar eclipse havan with 108 ahutis of samit, annam and ghee should be perfoprmed with the mantra AÉ xÉirÉålÉ ........ and in case of lunar eclipse with the mantra xÉÉåqÉÉå kÉålÉÑqÉç ……
108 ahutis should also be given with ghee with the mantra lÉqÉÉå AxiÉÑ xÉmÉåïprÉÈ and 108 ahutis with gingelly seeds with the vyahrutis.
15. Abhisheka should be performed on the yajamana with the water from the kalashas at the end of the pooja chanting the navagraha mantras.
16. The sarpa pratima, kalashas and everythingelse used in the pooja should be given in daanam to the brahmanas. The band metal band tied around the head should be given in daanam to the acharya.
16. Ashirvada to be received from the brahmanas after providng suitable dakshina and bhojanam.
Friday, July 2, 2010
their study showed decisive changes in the electrophysiology, neurochemistry and biochemistry when oriented to north or east. The north orientation appeared to induce inhibition of brain electrical activity and asscociated neurochemical and biochemical changes whereas the east orientation showed a response of calm blissful alertness.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
xÉmiÉWûxiÉÈ cÉiÉÑzÉ×…¡ûÈ xÉmiÉÎeÉÀûÈ Ì²zÉÏwÉïiÉÈ
Ì§ÉmÉÉiÉç mÉëxÉ³ÉuÉSlÉÈ xÉÑZÉÉxÉÏlÉÈ zÉÑÍcÉÎxqÉiÉÈ
xuÉÉWûÉÇ iÉÑ SÍ¤ÉhÉå mÉÉµÉåï SåuÉÏÇ uÉÉqÉå xuÉkÉÉÇ iÉjÉÉ
ÌoÉpÉëiÉç SÍ¤ÉhÉWûxiÉæxiÉÑ zÉÌ£üqÉ³ÉÇ xÉëÑcÉÇ xÉëÑuÉqÉç
iÉÉåqÉUÇ urÉeÉlÉÇ uÉÉqÉæÈ bÉ×iÉmÉÉ§ÉÇ cÉ kÉÉUrÉlÉç
qÉåwÉÉÃRûÉå eÉOûÉoÉ®èÈ aÉÉæUuÉhÉÉåï qÉWûÉæeÉxÉÈ
kÉÔqÉëkuÉeÉÉå sÉÉåÌWûiÉÉ¤ÉÈ xÉmiÉÉÍcÉïxÉïuÉïMüÉqÉSÈ
AÉiqÉÉÍpÉqÉÑZÉqÉÉxÉÏlÉÈ LuÉÇ krÉÉrÉåiÉç WÒûiÉÉzÉlÉqÉç.
AalÉå uÉæµÉélÉU zÉÉÎhQûsrÉaÉÉå§É qÉåwÉkuÉeÉ mÉëÉ‰ÑZÉÈ qÉqÉÉÍpÉqÉÑZÉqÉÉxÉÏlÉÉå uÉUSÉå pÉuÉ